Thursday, April 2, 2009

I am Ecclesiastes

So no profanity, no random useless opinionated rambling. Today we have a little insight to my inside. that wa elegant insight into my inside! yea I'm legit.

A while back I went to church there was a guest pastor who told the book of Ecclesiastes as an interview with a guy he was using to research a book. He basically paraphrased the book of Ecclesiastes. As I sat there listening I think man this sounds like me. So heres a little of what the book has to say.

“Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.”
Another version: "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless." What does man gain from all his labour at which he toils under the sun?
-I constantly feel like this shell that I wear is a "farce" completely devoid of meaning. Now I know having and raising kids is a joy and lends purpose to my existance granted, that set aside! It's a meaningless vanity.

"One generation goes, and another generation comes; but the earth remains forever."
-We have all sat through a history lesson, stories of the good ol' days we're writing those stories with our lives. We are just furniture in Mother Earths living room. Im some one's kid. My kid's are someones kid's. There kid's will have kid's. A never ending cycle. Which leads me to my next point.

"All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full. To the place where the rivers flow, there they flow again."
-This goes to the cyclical tendencies in nature. Everything comes full circle there are far too many examples so we will go with the rivers. Every beginning is anothers ending every ending brings a beginning. Where do I fit in to this? (rhetorical ?)

That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Another version: What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time. There is no remembrance of men of old, and even those who are yet to come will not be remembered by those who follow... ...I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind
-You ever feel like you have a good idea, just to find out someone else had it first? does this sound familiar? Plagerize much Shakespeare? ...anyway It's all been done before the next big thing is just something that we forgot was the big thing once. When are mustaches making a comeback?

What is twisted cannot be straightened; what is lacking cannot be counted
-Things that are done, are done. Thing that are said, are said. I can't undo them, I cant unsay them. I can apologize but all is meaningless.

For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
-The polar opposite of the ol' cliche "ignorance is bliss" I consider myself quite wise. Not that I have been highly educated or have a sharp scientific mind however I have seen things and been apart of some pretty eye openig experiences. I am wise through experience and through learning and taking something out of every day, every moment, every conversation, every interaction, every observation. I pride myself on the ability to learn and adapt. Hence I have much Grief and sorrow.

Sorry to be so deep and heavy. I felt so uninspired today. This is why. If you ever see me and I'm so disenchanted, Its because I'm Ecclesiasties.

2 comments:

  1. Good one. Is that what you say? Anyway, that was interesting and I enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our church had a guest pastor talk about Ecclesiastes not very long ago. Wonder if you're talking about the same church? Calvary Chapel, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete